Dhatus or tissues are an important part of human anatomy. In Ayurveda, there are predominantly seven Dhatus known as rasa, rakta, mamsa, medas, asthi, majja and Shukra. In terms of human anatomy, they are called plasma, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone-marrow and seminal fluid. These seven Dhatus are responsible for immunity and are composed of panchmahabhutas. When there is an imbalance in the functioning of Dhatus, there is a manifestation of a disease. All Dhatus contain dhatvagni. Rasa has rasagni, rakta has raktagni, mamasa has mamsagni, meda has medagni, asthi has asthyagni, majja has majjagni and Shukra has shukragni.
Types of Dhatu
- Rasa: Also known as chyle it is formed after digestion when food becomes a liquid.
- Rakta: It means blood which circulates through blood vessels. Blood helps in the movement of oxygen and other gases.
- Mamsa: It is the muscle tissue. There are three types- Hridya kandara (Cardiac muscle), Vartul kandara (Smooth muscle) and Asti kandara (Skeletal muscle).
- Majja: It is related to the bone marrow.
- Asthi: It is related to bone and gives shape to the body.
- Meda: It constitutes brain and spinal cord and nervous and adipose tissues.
- Shukra: It is the reproductive Dhatu.
- Rasa: It is disturbed by irregular meal and low water intake, excessive salt in the diet, irregular sleep pattern etc. to balance it one should get proper sleep, eat juicy fruits and vegetables, drink a lot of water etc. Herbs like ginger, amla as well as anti-Kapha therapy are also useful.
- Rakta: It is disturbed by fermented and spicy foods, alcohol, anger etc. To balance it one should eat and sleep at regular times, meditate and eat less spicy foods. Herbs that help are turmeric, red clover etc.
- Mamsa: It is disturbed by overeating, eating leftover or fried food, cold drinks etc. To balance it one should eat vegetarian food, exercise regularly and sleep properly. Herbs that help are mustard, cinnamon etc.
- Meda: It is disturbed by overeating, fatty, and fried foods. To balance it one should consume fiber-rich and organic foods and increase exercise. Herbs that help are black pepper, mustard etc.
- Asthi: It is disturbed by smoking, irregular meals, stress etc. To balance it one should eat calcium and vitamin D rich foods. Herbs that help are Triphala and red coral.
- Majja: It is disturbed by junk and processed food, stress etc. To balance it one should increase rest and eat natural foods. Herbs that help are Brahmi, Shanka pushpi.
- Shukra: It is disturbed by frequent childbirth, inadequate intake of food etc. To balance it one should eat nutritious food, practice medium sexual activity etc. Herbs that help are Ashwagandha + Kapikacchu
Malas is the waste produced by the body. They are- Pureesha (stools), Mutra (urine) and Sweda (sweat). Mala for each Dhatu are:
- Rasa- Kapha
- Mamsa- Karna mala (ear wax), Netra mala (eye discharge), Asya mala (oral debris) etc.
- Meda- Sweda (sweat)
- Asthi- Roma (body hair), nails
- Majja- Netra vit (thick secretion from eye)
- Shukra- No mala